Saturday, March 2, 2013

Paris, My Love.

"America is my country, but Paris is my hometown."
I have always had this weird, evangelical connection to Paris.
After much thought, I feel like my first exposure to Paris was through Disney's The Aristocats, as well as Rugrats in Paris. I also saw An American in Paris at the young age of 10 on my personal DVD player. I've always had this obsession with France. Growing up wanting to be a fashion designer, I was acutely aware that I would either be living in New York or Paris to fulfill my job. I went on to see films like Marie Antoinette, Amelie, and Ratatouille that furthered this dream of being in this place. Even Mary Kate and Ashley's  provided me with many fantasies of experiencing in Paris. I mean, who wouldn't want to become BFF's with a famous model and find cute, french flower delivering boyfriends? The thing about Paris is that it is so overwhelmingly the right color. I've seen pictures with the pastels and the worn gold paints of buildings older than my own country. I see Paris as the most inspirational city.
Found on garethrussellpopular.blogspot.com
What really inspired me to write this today was that I caught the last 45 minutes of Midnight in Paris, which I've wanted to see forever. As Owen Wilson wanders around the glorious city, the only thing I can think about is going to these same places and taking pictures or water coloring a subject, and buying macarons. At the same time wearing a similar ensemble Audrey Hepburn wears in Funny Face.
Found on untappedcities.com
Is it practical for my real dream in life to wander an old city, caring my camera and some pastel balloons? Who cares. I guess I can blame magazine cover stories and perfume ads by french designers for that fantasy.
Found on hangitontheline.blogspot.com
 I feel I would find the ultimate joy in sitting in a local out door cafe, eating pastries, as a people watch and sketch in a sketchbook. Paris seems to be the place where everything is beautiful and being alone to discover this beautiful world is accepted.
Found on baristamagazine.com
I took french for three years in High School. I was terrible and I barely passed French 3, but I still have dying respect for the language I will one day be fluent. I believe their is the guaranteed rule of thumb that every word looks or sounds beautiful in French. France is so naturally beautiful and graceful, it's just driving me out of my own country. 
 
I know that one day I am destined to visit this beautiful place. I will walk the streets and hear the water and soak up the fact that many before me came to Paris looking for the same feelings. Maybe my thoughts and ideas about Paris are wrong and unoriginal, but they are mine and I must hold on to them. One day Paris will be my home.

In the mean time, I shall thrive off of French books and films to keep my sanity. These are some a reccomend:
Movies:
Marie Antoinette (2006)
Ratatouille (2009)
Paris, je'taime (2006)
Midnight in Paris (2011)
Amelie (2001)
The Valet (2006)
My Best Friend (2010)
Les Miserables (2012)
Coco Before Chanel (2009)

Books:
Unfortunately, I have read a very limited amount of books set in Paris, and trust me, I 'm working on fixing that. I only have one book.
Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins. 
Just do yourself a favor and read this book. As well as everything Stephanie Perkins writes. She is amazing. I'll probably re-read it soon, it's an absolutely amazing book and I could not recommend it enough.

Until next time
Lillie
x

No comments:

Post a Comment